Sunday, May 22, 2016

Luang Prabang-Welcomed to Laos

I was very sad to leave Thailand as I have grown to love it and the people I met there quite a bit. On the flight in though all my worries and sadness was gone. The landscape here is amazing! I looked out my window and saw mountain covered with jungle all around. It made me feel right at home with the mountains. The first stop was a very French influenced city of Luang Prabang. It was a small city with not too much to do but I still spent quite a few days there and met some great people through my new travel mate Matthias.

The first day there I sat by the Mekong River watching sunset over the mountains and it was quite beautiful, just like home. I spent a lot of time walking around the city exploring and taking in the sites. I loved all the brick and the French influence on the buildings. Here I was able to get my Vietnam visa which was very convenient. I also met a girl that went to school at UNC and I was able to talk about Colorado, she even knows a few people I know! It was fun and once again comforting being in a new place. After 2 days my travel mates arrived and we began to explore outside the city more. I went to an amazing place with the most beautiful waterfalls I have ever seen.



Its called Kuang Si waterfall.  It had so many tiers and we were able to swim and dive in four of them. Once we finally got to the waterfall it was gigantic and so much fun to swim at. There was also an Asian black bear conservation park there as well which was pretty cool and fun to see the bears playing around. Besides this and a temple on the hill of the city (which gave a nice view) there was not too much to do in the city but with great company and new friends (6 countries represented; Japan, Sweden, Hungary, Canada, USA and Germany!) it was still a great time. These people became one's that I grew close to and spent quite some time with a couple of them. The next stop is a city called Vang Vieng. It was a 5 hour bus ride getting here on very shitty roads but the views along the way were breathtaking! I’ll let you know more about it soon.


View at top of the falls






No comments:

Post a Comment